I am on a seafood diet because there are Benefits of Seafood. I see it and I eat it.
Seafood is any form of sea life which is consumed by a human as a food. It mainly consists of fish and shellfish. Seafood is purely a Non-Vegetable-Food.
More than 3.5 billion people depend on the ocean for their primary source of food.
In former times, large sea mammals like dolphins and whales were consumed as a food. But now, these species are present to a lesser extent. Both in the United Kingdom and in “North America” the term Seafood is extended to freshwater organisms which are eaten by Human beings.
Especially in Asia, edible sea plants such as seaweeds and microalgae are also used as seafood. So, we can refer to all types of aquatic life as seafood.
Read More: Choosing the Right Custom Built BBQ Grills
Health Benefits of Seafood
There are several health benefits of seafood. It is packed with proteins, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that keep our bodies in working order.
Seafood is a surplus source of protein. In small amounts, it also contains “good fats”. Protein-rich fish and shellfish help to nourish muscles and warding off flu and colds. Protein-rich food is usually low in calories. Therefore, keep us fuller for longer.
Vitamins and Minerals
- Seafood is a bigger source of vitamins and minerals which performs crucial functions in the body.
- Oily fish is a rich source of vitamin A and D. These are important in the development and growth of children.
- Whitefish is a good source of vitamins B. Seafood is also an excellent source of minerals including potassium, selenium, zinc, and iodine.
Salt and Sodium
Although seafood is rich in minerals, it contains salt and sodium in low quantity. High quantity of sodium uptake leads to high blood pressure, heart diseases, and strokes.
Exchange of a ready meal high in sodium for seafood lower your salt intake and boost health or consult a doctor.
Shellfish and Dietary Cholesterol
Never forget that shellfish contain dietary cholesterol. Seafood is low in saturated fats which are responsible for causing high blood cholesterol levels. It is also a rich source of omega-3.
Health Hazard of Seafood
A few seafood health risks
- Heavy metal mercury produced by coal plant and industrial activity usually settles deep into the ocean. Deep in the ocean, bacteria change it into methylmercury.
- Methylmercury can easily absorb in a human body. This methyl mercury builds up in the fishes and other seafood.
- It is poisonous and dangerous for pregnant women and small children.
- As mercury effect the development of the brain.
- Raw seafood contains Listeria bacteria which can cause serious illness.
- Shellfish are among the more common food allergens.
Visit Mysticdining.com for more Seafood Health Facts!