There are many important tools and equipment for gardening effectively and those which serve to provide a better gardening experience. Best hoses for outside are one of those tools that one can’t do without. They serve their purpose of transporting water in a lawn or a garden in order to take care of plantations and moistening them.
So what actually is a garden hose??
A garden hose is a flexible tube usually made up of soft plastic or synthetic rubber used for conveying water. It is embedded with a web of fibers internally which provide the tube with the required flexibility and smoothness enabling it to get around trees and other obstacles that might be in a garden.
There are multiple water hose fittings and connectors available which allow garden hoses to multitask at a time. Garden hoses are usually designed tough enough to withstand scrapes from rocks and smooth enough to be carried easily.
What are the things to be considered before buying a Best hoses for outside?
There are many options and choices available for garden hoses in the market, attractive brand names or packaging and color might compel a buyer to purchase impulsively. Sometimes one may also be tempted to purchase one of the cheapest options because by a single glance it is hard to differentiate the available features.
These hoses may not promise a full life of five to ten years that good hoses promise of. Getting them repaired over and over may end up costing you more than the original price and all your ‘smart selection’ might go in vain. In order to avoid that you need to keep a keen eye on the following factors:
While looking for a Best hoses for outside you need to pay attention to the reliability of the material it is made up of. There are heavy duty water hoses that allow the transportation of large amounts of water at a time, as well as there, are light weight water hoses which provide the benefits of high portability. Hoses are available usually in two types of materials: vinyl and rubber and sometimes the combination of both.
Basic vinyl hoses, though less expensive and light weight, are sturdy and not immune to harsh weathers as well as sun exposure. They are more prone to degradation and splitting. If you’re looking for a lightweight water hose and are willing to let go of other factors, this might be the one for you.
Rubber water hoses are more reliable and long lasting but the gap lies in them being heavier, difficult to carry around and hard on the pocket. They can withstand harsh weathers and resist cracking and kinking. In-case of choosing a heavy duty water hose, rubber hoses won’t tend to disappoint.
Combining the benefits of both the materials and minimizing negative factors, there is a middle of the road option which is a combination of vinyl and rubber. Though you have to keep in mind that both the materials reek chemicals if you are to use one for drinking purposes, go for a ‘drinking safe’ water hose.
Length of Best hose for outside
Though longer garden hoses seem to be more tempting to buy as one might feel that they will come in handy for reaching various areas of the garden, the best hose for outside is not the one which is greater in size but the one which fulfills your actual length requirements. Long hoses are difficult to carry and store because of their heaviness moreover it takes more time to empty them and the length can provide resistance to heavy water pressure.
Garden hoses come in lengths from 25 to 100 ft. and in special cases a 150 ft garden hose is also available, make a smart choice!
The width of Best hoses for outside
Water hoses with a diameter of ¾ inch to up to a half inch are more common in use. A 1 inch water hose is likely to carry more water than the ones with lesser width. More width will carry more water and result in more pressure as well. A five-eighth inch is a combination of a good pressure and water flow but if weight is an issue, half an inch will be more ideal as a light weight water hose.
In order to avoid a rupture, garden hoses are suppose to be highly flexible. They are to be carry around all over the garden, can bend and curl multiple times. Though there are curly hoses for garden as well which provide the facility of easy bending still, no hose is immune to kinking but there can be a difference of rate of rupture. To make sure that your hose doesn’t easily kink while shopping for a hose, bend it in a U-shape if it kinks then move on to next.
“Burst pressure” of a hose determines its strength or in other words, the maximum pressure of water at which the hose is likely to burst or rupture determines how strong it is. If you’re expecting to use the hose with a combination of sprinkler or nozzle. You need a higher psi, look for one above 350 psi, a hose manual will provide you with this information.
Couplings for a garden hose are the pieces attach at its end to attach nozzles, spigots, sprinklers and such water hose fittings. They can be either made up of plastic or metal. Cheaper hoses have plastic couplings attach to them which can damage easily, can’t be tighten and are likely to leak.
These are more prone to breakages and can’t withstand direct sunlight for long. Metal couplings, on the other hand, are more reliable, though they can be available in variations such as thin metal sheets or brass. Go for brass as a first priority as it is less likely to leak and is more reliable in the long run.
Top 10 Best hoses for outside/garden hoses as rated in 2018
GrowGreen heavy duty
- It comes along with 8 setting spray pattern nozzle, the settings include: full, shower, mist, center, soaker, angle, cone and flat.
- Durable and designed lightweight
- It has brass water hose fittings
- Covered with a rugged fabric, it has a triple layer latex core.
- Provides an added length which is preferable for users with large areas.
- Doesn’t pinpoint specific materials of composition, so it is hard to determine whether it’s safe for drinking from or not.
- Though nozzle provides with multiple functions, it is safe from leakages.
Hospaip 50ft garden hose
- Featured with double latex core that adds to the durability of the hose.
- High flexibility
- Light in weight which makes it easier to carry around.
- It is modeled with a sturdy fabric which makes it resistant to leakages.
- Strong, eight patterned water hose fittings made of brass.
- As compared to other hoses, this one might be a little tough on the pocket as it is costlier than others.
- It provides a warranty for a lesser time period- 60 days.
- There are occasional leakages.
Flexzilla Best hose for outside
- Made up of hybrid polymer material which provides high flexibility.
- It resists against kinking under pressure.
- It keeps sprinkler stable on its position without twisting.
- Easy to bend and coil for storage.
- Safe for drinking water.
- Begins to develop mold after a few months of installation.
- Confusing warranty descriptions.
- Contradictory manufacturer information regarding maximum water pressure.
GenLed expandable garden hose
- Easy on the pocket as it offers a low price.
- Highly flexible.
- Expands to its full length.
- Surprisingly light weighted which allows the user to carry it around easily.
- Ease of performing tasks because of its design.
- Perfect for light watering.
- Doesn’t have an attached nozzle.
- Fittings are not brass but plastic and hence they are prone to leakages.
- There have been complaints about leaks and punctures.
Genned expandable garden hose
- Great for maximum expansion as it expands quite well.
- Offers a good length in comparison to other hoses.
- Provides a good reach to large areas.
- Doesn’t come with an attached nozzle.
- It comes with plastic fittings which are prone to leakages and low durability.
- It has been report of developing punctures and kinks.
Teknor Apex neverkink
- It can withstand mold generation which fights against hose deterioration.
- High weather resistance and is ideal for extremely low temperatures as well.
- High durability.
- Advanced flexibility.
- Not compatible with some hose reels.
- Despite the claims about ‘never kinking’ feature, there have been many instances and complaints about ruptures and kinks.
- Swells up on high water pressure.
Gilmour flexogon super duty
- High burst resistance with pressure tolerance of 600 psi.
- Brass connections.
- Corrosion resistant.
- Stainless steel provides with tolerance to kinking.
- Reported for dripping and leakage.
- Watering hose with holes where kink occurs
- A leader in fitting all hose reels.
- Can easily be use to attach hose reel to a faucet.
- It is made up of rubber.
- Allows reel to move far away from the faucet.
- Does not work well under constant water pressure.
- Reported for quick kinking.
- Hard to straighten it completely and is rather stiff.
- Easy to use because of it being a light weight water hose.
- For secure connections, it has lead-free brass couplings.
- It can cater to all light duty gardening needs.
- High tolerance to water pressure.
- Poor fitting and sealing of the brass connector.
- Report multiple times for hose leakages because of its fittings.
10. Clear flow
- Eco friendly material.
- Drinking water safe.
- Lead free.
- Extreme low temperature resistant, can remain flexible under temperature as low as -40.
- Light in weight ensuring ease of use.
- Warranty of up to 10 years.
- Doesn’t live up to the claimed warranty.
- Low resistance for high sun exposure.
- Difficult to coil up.
There is a vast variety of hoses to choose from, differing in their features. You first need to realize your gardening needs only then can you make a smart purchase and choose the best hoses for outside. Good luck!
For more, you can visit us here MysticDining.com